Work flexibility is defined as the freedom to determine ‘where’ and ‘when’ one will carry out their work. Corporate jobs with flexibility would allow you the freedom to decide when and how you work, but there will always be some level of restriction. A Home Business is considered to be an ultimate solution for achieving complete work flexibility. It will provide the business owner freedom and control over their work. Being your own boss, running your own business from home allows you to work when you want, where you want and how much you want to work. Currently, home businesses are considered the fastest growing form of startups all over the world. I guess there is no surprise about WHY this is the case right?
Home business owners can achieve work flexibility through:
- Personal freedom – Since you are your own boss you will decide where you work when you work and how much you work. You have complete control to make it work within your own terms. This greatly reduces stress from your life.
- Better work/life balance – As you have the freedom to manage your work, it allows for you to better balance your personal and business needs. You would be able to attend to your family’s needs when they require it, without worrying about the consequences of your work activities. Imagine how this will destress your life?
- Increased productivity – As a home business owner you will most likely do something that you are passionate about or love to do. Also as you are responsible for the success of your business and your life, the natural tendency is to be as productive as possible. You will spend time on tasks that are only value adding and or essential for the success of your business. Your time is precious to you, so you will use it productively.
Home Business Options
Home businesses have been in existence for centuries. Some of the most traditional home businesses seen are:
- Food business – for those with great culinary skills, making delicious foods to sell from the comfort of your home kitchen is a great option.
- Tutoring – for those with teaching skills and a passion for education can easily set up tutoring classes right at home. (This is currently a lucrative business in Sri Lanka)
- Professional practices – professionals such as lawyers, architects, doctors can easily run their private practices from home.
- Child care – many Montessori’s and daycares operate in the caregiver’s home.
The advancement of technology has created many new forms of so-called new-age home businesses. These are also popularly called online businesses. Some of these are as follows:
- Selling products online – it’s quite easy to setup an online store these days. So you can start selling any types of products online.
- Blogging – if you like a little bit of writing and have a knack for research, then starting a blog is also a good option these days. You can even blog for others and make good money.
- Virtual assistant – if you have experience in administration or have a specialization such as social media, project management, customer support, then you can easily start off as a virtual assistant. This is actually my forte and I’ve been recently quite busy developing my own home business in this area. Hope to share more details with everyone soon (fingers crossed!).
- Freelancing – whatever your skills are, going freelance is the start of doing your own thing (aka business). There are millions of freelancers all over the world today and the numbers are rapidly increasing. Freelancing allows you to determine how much you work, where you work when you work and who you work with.
- Personal stylist – well this might not be a so called online business but it’s definitely a chic and in vogue home business. If you have skills for design and an eye for good style then this is a great home business option. Thought of adding it to the list of options as I just found out that one of my good friends have started such a venture (isn’t it awesome!).
These are only a minor subset of all the thousands of home business ideas that are out there today. Whatever your passion is, there will definitely be a related business idea to start your own thing.
While running a home business provides one with the greatest level of work flexibility, it also comes with a price (as always). Running a home business is not easy, in fact, it is downright difficult. Some of the greatest challenges in running a home business are as follows:
- High level of risk – Unlike being employed in the corporate world, the risk is an inherent factor when running your own business. Be it financial stability or growing a customer base, the stakes would be quite high especially during the startup phase.
- Enormous workload – It’s your own business, you are responsible for all aspects of it. Your workload will cover everything from bookkeeping, administration, marketing, brand building, customer services, technical support, etc.
- Balancing act – While a home business will provide you with great work flexibility, there will be a thin line between personal and business needs on a daily basis. This will need a lot of discipline and some great balancing skills to master this balancing act.
So this is my view on home businesses and how work flexibility fits in. While we are used to associating work flexibility options with corporate jobs, it doesn’t have to be the sole solution. A home business provides a whole new dimension to achieving work flexibility and it has a lot of promise for the future. That is why I consider Home Business to be an ultimate solution which will allow us to Make It Work!